Previously, we looked at a few tips for keeping your pumps and applications working as efficiently as possible. These tips were thanks to our friends over at Pumps & Systems. Today, we are going to look at the final five tips to making sure your pumps are working as efficiently as they possibly can be.
- The suction piping must be designed properly. It is important to make sure there is no extra strain on the pump. This extra strain will cause the pump to be less effective than it can be in an optimal setting. First, be sure the pump is not carrying the weight of the pipe. Set up supports or something similar to bear the weight of the pump. Also, be sure that particulates and air cannot get caught anywhere in the piping. Lastly, you will want to lay out the piping in a manner that minimizes 90-degree turns and is as short as possible in length.
- The use of suction stabilizers and discharge pulsation dampeners will even out the flow of the application. A smooth and steady flow of fluid is ideal for the pump. If pulsating flows or heavy vibrations occur during the application, the pump could be affected when the pipe vibrates against it. Prevent this from happening and you will also increase your gasket life.
- Mechanical vibration also needs to be kept at a minimum. There is bound to be some vibration from the pump or the application itself while it is running, but by properly isolating the vibration, the pump can be spared any damage. This can be done by making sure the pump is properly anchored and by installing vibration dampening mounts.
- Conduct routine maintenance. This is true of any type of application. Your pump is at its most highly efficient state when all components are in tip top shape. Over time, these components wear out, and it is important to check and change them before they break and cause bigger problems. They will also keep your application running efficiently.
- Be sure your operators are properly trained on all of your equipment. Ensure that those working on or with the key components of your application are aware of how to keep it running at its most efficient. Be sure they know how to read the gauges and know what to do if something goes wrong. It is important to have problems fixed rather than covered up with workarounds.
By following all ten of these steps, Cortech is sure your application will be running more effectively and efficiently than it has been in the past. Most of the time, early detection is key, so be sure to conduct routine inspections of your entire application to check for any abnormalities or flaws that will result in bigger issues down the line. Then, you will be running the most efficient application around.