The metering pump is a positive displacement, chemical dosing device that has the ability to change the capacity either manually or automatically, depending on the requirements of your process conditions. The pump is able to continually recreate its accuracy to prove its consistency and reliability. It is designed to pump a wide range of chemicals including acids, bases, slurries, and corrosive or viscous liquids.
The pumping action is produced by a reciprocating piston that can either be in direct contact with the process fluid or is separated from the fluid by a diaphragm. The hydraulic fluid between the piston and the diaphragm is what actuates the diaphragm.
Generally, metering pumps are best suited for applications where one or more of the following conditions exist:
- Application requires low flow rates in mL/hr or GPH
- High system pressure is present
- Extreme accuracy of the feed rate is required
- Dosing is determined by a computer, microprocessor, DCS, PLC, or flow proportioning
- A pump that can withstand corrosive, high temperature, or hazardous fluids is needed
- The need to pump viscous fluids or slurries is present